Making a reservation is really easy. Here is all you need to do:
- Click on the “Explore” option in your foursquare mobile app;
- Select “Food” and then the restaurant that you’d like to make a reservation at;
- On that restaurant’s profile page, you will find the reservation option directly below the “call,” “directions,” and “menu” options and right above the image section;
- Fill out the date/time/party size info and then select “Find a Table”
- You will then be taken to an OpenTable page with a bunch of info about the restaurant and you will have the option to select the time slot that works for you, if there is a table available;
- Select your reservation time;
- Enjoy your dinner!
Unfortunately, you may not find the reservation feature on some of the places you want to check out. Obviously, this feature is dependent on OpenTable having the restaurant in their system. From what I have seen so far, restaurants in larger cities are more likely to be participants. According to the OpenTable website, there are over 25,000 restaurants in their network, so you do have some options.
foursquare and OpenTable actually partnered up back in May to bring reservations to foursquare.com, but the feature just hit mobile apps in the past few weeks.
This is just another step by foursquare to make their app the “go to” for local search/discovery. Over the past year or so, foursquare has clearly matured from their location-based gaming beginnings.