Target Statistics and Facts (2023)
Last Updated on: September 3rd, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting Target statistics and facts I was able to dig up including store count, revenue totals and employee counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
The Target corporation is an interesting company to study and measure. They are currently the number two discount store in the US (behind Walmart), but their roots go back much further than many of you might think.
Target actually trace back to 1902, when it began as Goodfellow Dry Goods. It then evolved to Dayton’s Dry Goods to Dayton Company to Dayton-Hudson Corporation and then the Target Corporation in 2000.
Target’s footprint in the US is vast with more than 1,900 domestic stores and close to 450,000 employees. They are a force to recon with in the brick and mortar retail market, as well as the digital retail world as they adopted digital early on and have invested considerably in digital integration throughout this decade, setting them up to be able to remain competitive as digital monsters like Amazon swallow up retailers that were late to the digital game.
- 1903 – Goodfellows Department Store is purchased by George Dayton and renamed Dayton Dry Goods
- 1962 – The Dayton Company opens the first Target
- 1966 – B.Dalton Bookseller opens as another subsidiary of the Dayton Company
- 1986 – B Dalton is sold to Barnes & Noble
- 1995 – The first SuperTarget opens
- 1999 – Bullseye (the dog) became the Target mascot
- 2000 – Dayton-Hudson Corp changes its name to Target Corporation
- 2011 – Target expands into Canada
- 2013 – Target is victim to a major data breach
- 2015 – Target exits Canada
- 2019 – Target launches their Good & Gather brand
Target Store Count
How many Targets are in the US?
Last updated 1/1/21
Target Store Count by State (as of 2/2/19):
- Alabama: 22
- Alaska: 3
- Arizona: 47
- Arkansas: 9
- California: 287
- Colorado: 42
- Connecticut: 20
- Delaware: 3
- District of Columbia: 1
- Florida: 123
- Georgia: 50
- Hawaii: 7
- Idaho: 6
- Illinois: 94
- Indiana: 31
- Iowa: 20
- Kansas: 17
- Kentucky: 13
- Louisiana: 15
- Maine: 5
- Maryland: 39
- Massachusetts: 46
- Michigan: 53
- Minnesota: 73
- Mississippi: 6
- Missouri: 35
- Montana: 7
- Nebraska: 14
- Nevada: 17
- New Hampshire: 9
- New Jersey: 47
- New Mexico: 10
- New York: 82
- North Carolina: 51
- North Dakota: 4
- Ohio: 63
- Oklahoma: 15
- Oregon: 20
- Pennsylvania: 75
- Rhode Island: 4
- South Carolina: 19
- South Dakota: 5
- Tennessee: 30
- Texas: 150
- Utah: 14
- Vermont: 1
- Virginia: 59
- Washington: 37
- West Virginia: 36
- Wyoming: 2
Target Employee Count
How many employees does Target have?
Last updated 1/1/22
Target Revenue Totals
Target annual revenue:
- FY 2022: $109 billion
- FY 2021: $104.6 billion
- FY 2020: $92.4 billion
- FY 2019: $77.13 billion
- FY 2018: $75.3 billion
- FY 2017: $72.7 billion
- FY 2016: $70.2 billion
- FY 2015: $73.7 billion
- FY 2014: $72.6 billion
- FY 2013: $71.2 billion
- FY 2012: $71.9 billion
- FY 2011: $68.4 billion
- FY 2010: $65.7 billion
- FY 2009: $65.3 billion
- FY 2008: $64.9 billion
- FY 2007: $63.3 billion
- FY 2006: $59.4 billion
- FY 2005: $52.6 billion
Percentage of Target’s 2018 revenue that came from sales of beauty & household essentials:
Percentage of Target’s 2018 revenue that came from sales of food & beverage:
Percentage of Target’s 2018 revenue that came from sales of apparel & accessories:
Percentage of Target’s 2018 revenue that came from sales of hardlines:
Percentage of Target’s 2018 revenue that came from sales of home furnishings & decor:
Additional Target Statistics
- Nationwide Distribution Centers: Target boasts an extensive logistics network, comprising 39 distribution centers across the United States. These centers play a pivotal role in efficiently supplying Target stores with a diverse array of products and merchandise.
- Cartwheel App Popularity: With a robust user base, the Cartwheel mobile app has garnered approximately 27 million users. This app empowers shoppers to access discounts and savings while enhancing their shopping experience at Target stores.
- Savings Through Cartwheel: The impact of the Cartwheel app is substantial, with users saving an impressive $600 million using the app’s discounts and promotions. This significant figure underscores the app’s contribution to shoppers’ financial well-being.
- Customer Demographics: Target has a broad customer base, with the median age of a typical customer recorded at 40 years old. This demographic diversity reflects the store’s appeal to individuals of varying ages.
- Gender Distribution on Target.com: Online engagement with Target.com skews towards female users, with 63% of visitors being female. This statistic highlights the platform’s ability to cater to diverse shopper preferences.
- Household Income Profile: Target’s customer base spans a range of income levels, with the median household income of shoppers noted at $64,000. This figure underscores the store’s ability to serve a wide spectrum of consumers.
- Parental Presence: A notable 43% of Target customers are parents. This statistic underscores the store’s role as a destination catering to families’ diverse shopping needs.
- Educational Attainment: A substantial 57% of Target customers have completed college, reflecting the brand’s appeal to an educated consumer demographic.
- Global E-Commerce Reach: Target’s online presence extends beyond borders, as it has shipped to 108 countries through Intl.Target.com. This global outreach signifies the brand’s commitment to providing an accessible shopping experience to customers around the world.
- Good & Gather Product Launch: Target’s product offerings continue to expand, with the launch of Good & Gather featuring 650 products in September 2019. This brand launch emphasizes Target’s dedication to providing high-quality, affordable options to its customers.
- Engaging the Youngest Shoppers: SuperTarget stores create a delightful experience for children by handing out an impressive average of 25-50,000 cookies weekly. This unique approach showcases Target’s commitment to creating a family-friendly atmosphere.
- Healthcare Services: Target combines retail with healthcare by providing 1,672 pharmacies and 79 clinics within its stores. This approach enhances convenience for customers seeking both medical services and everyday shopping.
- Strong Portfolio of Brands: Target’s strength in branding is evident, with 10 of its owned brands generating annual sales surpassing $1 billion. This diverse brand portfolio contributes significantly to the store’s overall success.
- Pharmacy and Clinic Business Acquisition: CVS Health acquired Target’s pharmacy and clinic businesses for a substantial $1.9 billion, underscoring the value and impact of healthcare services within the retail landscape.
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these Target statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.