Instagram Statistics and User Count (2023)
Last Updated on: March 9th, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting Instagram statistics and facts I was able to dig up including Instagram user counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
Instagram is a social media platform that allows users to share photos and videos, and interact with others through likes, comments, and direct messages. It was launched in 2010 and quickly became one of the most popular social media platforms in the world, with over 1 billion monthly active users as of 2021.
Instagram is primarily a mobile app, although there is also a web version available. The app allows users to post photos and videos from their phone, add captions and hashtags to their posts, and share them with their followers. Users can also follow other accounts, and their posts will appear in their feed, along with suggested posts based on their interests.
In addition to photos and videos, Instagram also offers features such as Stories, Reels, and IGTV, which allow users to share short-form videos and other content. Instagram also has various tools for businesses, including the ability to create ads and a business profile, and insights into their followers and engagement.
Overall, Instagram is a popular platform for sharing visual content and connecting with others around the world.
- 2010 – Instagram launches
- 2011 – Hashtag functionality is added
- 2012 – Instagram launches on Android; Facebook acquires Instagram for $715 million
- 2013 – Video sharing functionality is added; Sponsored posts debut; Direct launches
- 2015 – Boomerang launches
- 2016 – Instagram gets an app and feed redesign; Stories launch; Instagram desktop launches; Live video functionality launches
- 2018 – IGTV launches
Instagram User Count
- How many users does Instagram have? As of 10/16/21, the app had 1.3 Billion Monthly Active Users.
- How many Instagram users are on it daily? As of 3/23/19, the app had 500 million Daily Active Users.
- How many people use Instagram Stories? As of 2/26/21, Stories had 500 million daily users.
Additional Instagram Stats
- Global Instagram engagement rate: In 2021, its global engagement rate was 5.86%. in 2020, it was 2.26% and in 2019, it was 0.9%
- Most engaging type of Instagram content: As of 2/25/22, the most engaging post content was Video content.
- Number of Instagram users that tap on shopping posts each month: As of 7/22/20, 130 million users tapped on shopping post monthly.
- Estimated Instagram revenue for 2019: $20 billion
- Percentage of Instagram users that are from outside the U.S.: As of 6/22/17, 80% of all users were from outside the US.
- Percentage of businesses on Instagram that have produced a story: As of 8/4/17, over 50% of businesses profiles had produced a story.
- Number of business profiles on Instagram: As of 11/30/17, there were 25 million businesses.
- Number of Instagram advertisers: As of 9/25/17, there were 2 million monthly advertisers.
- Percentage of Facebook ad accounts that advertise on Instagram: As of 7/17/18, 43% of Facebook ad accounts also advertised on Instagram.
- How many Instagram accounts can you have? As of 7/31/22, users may have up to 5 accounts.
- How many seconds can an Instagram video be? As of 7/31/22, Reels can be up to 90 seconds long.
- How many people can you have on an Instagram group conversation? As of 7/31/22, users may have up to 250 people, on an group conversation.
- Percentage of US millennials that use Instagram daily: As of 8/10/17, 34% of US millennials used it daily.
- Percentage of Instagram users that have purchased a product they saw on it: As of 10/3/17, 72% of users had purchased a product they saw on it.
- Percentage of global smartphone users that use Instagram: As of 12/14/17, 25% of global smartphone users used it.
- Best Days to Post on Instagram for Engagement: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday tend to be the best days to post for max engagement.
- Best time of the week to post on Instagram: Tuesday at 2pm local time tends to be the best time to post.
- Number of Languages Instagram supports natively: As of 10/31/17, it supported 39 languages.
- Percentage of Instagram users that log in at least once a day: As of 1/10/18, 22% of all users logged into it daily.
- Percentage of users that check Instagram multiple times a day: As of 1/10/18, 38% of all users checked it multiple times a day.
- 64% of college students consider Instagram the most narcissistic social media service.
- Average amount of time per day that Americans spend on Instagram: As of 5/28/19, Americans spent 38 minutes per day on it.
- Average amount of time Instagram users spend in the Android app daily: As of 6/25/18, users spent 27 minutes per day in the Android app.
- Percentage of US adults that use Instagram: As of 4/16/18, 35% of US adults used it.
- Most liked Instagram photo ever: As of 1/14/19, the most liked photo in history was This post of an egg (seriously).
- Most followed woman on Instagram: As of 2/27/19, the most followed woman was Ariana Grande.
- Most followed man on Instagram: As of 2/27/19, the most followed man was Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Instagram record for the account that reached 1 million followers the fastest: Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex hold the record as of 4/4/19 (under 6 hours)
- Number of people that used IGTV: IGTV had 18 million app installs as of 10/5/21.
- Average number of new IGTV installs per day: As of 5/20/19, IGTV was seeing 7,700 daily installs.
- Percentage of United States teens that use Instagram monthly: As of 4/10/18, 82% of all US teens used it monthly.
- Percentage of United States teens that consider Instagram their favorite social network: As of 10/11/17, 24% of all US teens considered it their favorite social network.
- Percentage of United States millennials that use Instagram: As of 4/27/17, 59% of all US millennials used it.
- Percentage of Instagram users that follow a brand on it: As of 2018, 80% of all users followed a brand on Instagram.
- Percentage of Instagram members that use it because it enables them to interact with brands: As of 4/18/19, 66% of all Instagrammers used it to interact with brands.
- Estimated amount Kylie Jenner earns per sponsored Instagram post: As of 2019, Kylie Jenner earned an estimated $1.27 million per sponsored post.
- Percentage of brand content on Instagram that is regrammed: In 2018, 8% of brand content was regrammed.
- Increase in interactions for content that is regrammed by brands: In 2018, content that was regrammed by brands saw 6.5% more interactions.
- Number of Instagram users in Japan: As of 10/5/17, there were 17.1 million users in Japan.
- Percentage of smartphone users in Japan that use Instagram: As of 1/6/17, 19.3% of smartphone users in Japan used it.
- Number of Instagram users in the Middle East/North Africa (MENA) region: As of 10/31/17, there were over 60 million users in the MENA region.
- Number of Instagram users in Saudi Arabia: As of 2/7/17, there were 2.1 million users in Saudi Arabia.
- Number of Instagram users in the UAE: As of 2/7/17, there were 1.2 million users in UAE.
- Number of Instagram users in Egypt: As of 2/7/17, there were 800,000 users in Egypt.
- Number of Instagram users in France: As of 5/23/17, there were 10.4 million users in France.
- Percentage of internet users in France that use Instagram regularly: As of 5/23/17, 19.8% of internet users in France used it regularly.
- Number of Instagram users in Germany: As of 5/23/17, there were 15 million users in Germany.
- Number of Instagram users in Indonesia: As of 5/23/17, there were 45 million users in Indonesia.
- Most Instagrammed winter city: As of 2017, the most Instagrammed winter city was Bern Switzerland.
- Percentage of Instagrammers that have saved at least 1 post: As of 4/17/17, 46% of all users had saved at least 1 post.
- Increase in Instagram brand post engagement for posts with hashtags: In 2017, posts with hashtags saw 13% more engagement than posts without.
- Percentage of Instagram users, aged 18-24, that turn to it as a source of news: As of 6/17/20, 67% of all users, aged 18-24, turned to it as a source of news.
- Percentage of all Instagram users that turn to it as a source of news: As of 6/17/20, 11% of all users turned to it as a source of news.
- Number of Instagram advertisers that use Story Ads: As of 7/1/20, there were 4 million advertisers using Story Ads.
Top 10 Instagram users (by how much they earn per sponsored post):
- Kylie Jenner
- Ariana Grande
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Kim Kardashian
- Selena Gomez
- Dwayne Johnson
- Beyonce Knowles
- Taylor Swift
- Neymar da Silva Santos Jr
- Justin Bieber
(source) Last updated 7/23/19
Amount Instagram annually allocates to marketing:
- 2021: $390 million
- 2020: $186.3 million
- 2019: $127.3 million
- 2018: $67.2 million
- Website: Official Website
- Year Founded: 2010
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, CA
- Founder(s): Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger
- Parent Company: Facebook
- Subsidiaries / Brands: IGTV
- App Download (iOS)
- App Download (Android)
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these Instagram statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.