YouTube Statistics and User Count (2023)
Last Updated on: September 3rd, 2023
YouTube is a video-sharing platform that allows users to upload, view, and share videos. It was created in 2005 and is now one of the most popular websites in the world, with 1.5 billion monthly active users.
YouTube is a true American success story. It began as the brainchild of Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim: three PayPal employees that wanted to create a platform where users could post and share video clips. As a startup, YouTube attracted users and funding fairly quickly and was snatched up by the almighty Google roughly a year and a half after it was launched for $1.65 billion.
YouTube users can upload videos on a wide range of topics, from music and entertainment to educational content and personal vlogs. The platform also features a powerful search engine that allows users to find videos on any topic they’re interested in. Users can subscribe to channels to receive notifications when new videos are uploaded, as well as like, share, and comment on videos they enjoy.
In addition to its user-generated content, YouTube also hosts a range of professional and commercial content, such as music videos, movie trailers, and TV shows. The platform offers advertising options for businesses and content creators, as well as tools for creators to monetize their content through sponsorships, merchandise sales, and membership programs.
YouTube has become a powerful tool for social and cultural expression, with creators using the platform to share their voices, promote their businesses, and build communities around shared interests.
When a video social network has over a billion users that spend amazing amounts of time on it daily, there is no shortage of aspects of and facts about YouTube that can be measured and reported. I have been collecting YouTube stats and facts for about 10 years now in this curated collection.
- 2005 – YouTube launched
- 2006 – Google purchases YouTube for $1.65 billion
- 2010 – YouTube began streaming cricket matches
- 2011 – YouTube gets a major site redesign
- 2015 – YouTube Kids launched
- 2015 – YouTube Premium launched (as YouTube Red)
- 2017 – YouTube gets a major site redesign
Here are a few of the most interesting YouTube statistics and facts I was able to dig up including user counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
YouTube User Count
How many people use YouTube?
- Global YouTube Users: With a staggering 1.5 billion logged-in monthly users as of 2022, YouTube’s influence spans continents and cultures, solidifying its status as one of the most popular and widely used online platforms in the world.
- US YouTube Audience: In the United States alone, YouTube boasts an impressive viewership, with approximately 180.1 million individuals tuning in to enjoy its diverse content offerings in 2017. This substantial user base demonstrates the platform’s widespread popularity within a single country.
- Worldwide Reach: YouTube’s reach is truly global, extending its virtual arms to 90 countries around the world as of 2017. This international presence showcases the platform’s ability to transcend language barriers and cultural differences, making it a universally appealing medium for sharing and consuming content.
- YouTube Music and Premium Subscribers: The allure of YouTube Music and YouTube Premium is evident in their combined subscription base of 80 million individuals as of 2022. These subscription services offer ad-free viewing, offline playback, and exclusive content, catering to users seeking enhanced experiences and features.
- YouTube TV Subscribers: YouTube TV, a service offering live TV streaming, has attracted 5 million subscribers as of 2022. This growing user base reflects the increasing demand for flexible and personalized viewing options, as viewers transition from traditional cable to digital streaming solutions.
YouTube Revenue Totals
YouTube revenue from ads (annual):
Additional YouTube Statistics
How many YouTube videos are uploaded every minute?
Total amount of content watched on YouTube per month:
Average daily views of YouTube Shorts:
Total number of views of YouTube Shorts since launch:
Number of YouTube Content ID Claims processed in 2021:
Number of people in the US that watch YouTube and YouTube TV on their TV screen monthly:
How many videos on YouTube are captioned:
Percentage of the Earth’s population that use YouTube monthly:
Percentage of YouTube traffic from mobile:
Estimated YouTube valuation:
Number of times the YouTube app has been installed from the Play Store:
YouTube overall reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
Average amount of YouTube video content watched daily:
Average time spent on YouTube per mobile session:
How many videos are uploaded on YouTube every day?
Percentage of US Internet users, aged 13-17 (teens) that use YouTube:
Number of subscribers of YouTube Music and Google Play Music combined:
Type of YouTube content most preferred by Millennials:
What is the most-viewed YouTube video ever?
How many people in India watch YouTube?
Number of revenue-earning YouTube users in the US:
Number of markets that YouTube TV is available in:
Number of people that watch gaming videos and streams on YouTube each day:
YouTube’s share of the video game live streaming market:
Total monthly video game content watched on YouTube:
Number of countries YouTube Music is available in:
Top 5 top-earning YouTube stars (based on income):
- Ryan Kaji | Ryan ToysReview ($26 million)
- Dude Perfect ($20 million)
- Anastasia Radinskaya ($18 million)
- Rhett and Link ($17.5 million)
- Jeffree Star ($17 million)
Average amount of YouTube content that is watched on TV screens daily:
Amount of gaming content viewed on YouTube in 2018:
Amount of gaming content viewed on YouTube in 2018:
Video with the most YouTube views in its first 24 hours:
Number of installs of the YouTube for Android TV app:
60% of Americans aged 35-54 visit YouTube for music-related content at least once a week. (2018)
29% of Americans aged 55+ visit YouTube for music-related content at least once a week. (2018)
Number of YouTube music videos that have more than 1 billion views:
Oldest video to get 1 billion YouTube views:
Top 5 most subscribed-to YouTube channels:
- YouTube Movies
Most popular YouTube channel (based on views):
10 Most-viewed YouTube videos of all time (as of 6/18/19):
- Despacito (Luis Fonsi)
- Shape of You (Ed Sheeran)
- See You Again (Wiz Khalifa)
- Recipe for Disaster (Marsha and the Bear)
- Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson)
- Gangnam Style (Psy)
- Sorry (Justin Bieber)
- Sugar (Maroon 5)
- Baby Shark Dance (Pinkfong)
- Roar (Katy Perry)
Percentage of YouTube’s daily views that come from outside the U.S.:
Number of YouTube channels with more than 100,000 subscribers:
Number of downloads for the YouTube Kids app:
Number of video views for YouTube Kids in its first year:
Number of YouTube channels with at least 250,000 subscribers:
Top 10 YouTube title keywords that get the most views:
Most-watched YouTube creator of 2019:
Top 5 most disliked videos on YouTube (as of 8/11/19):
- YouTube Rewind 2018 (YouTube)
- Baby (Justin Bieber)
- It’s Everyday Bro (Jake Paul)
- Can this video get 1 million dislikes? (PewDiePie)
- Despacito (Luis Fonsi)
Percentage of YouTube users that watch it to help make a purchase decision:
Number of videos removed by YouTube in H1 2021 for violating community guidelines:
Number of sexually explicit videos removed by YouTube in H1 2021:
The top two reasons viewers watch YouTube are:
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these YouTube statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.