Last Updated on: January 13th, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting TikTok statistics and facts I was able to dig up including user counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
TikTok, also known as Douyin in China, is a social media platform where users can create and share short videos. The platform was founded in 2016 and is headquartered in Beijing, China.
TikTok User Count
Insights into the Popularity of TikTok in the US, India, and Southeast Asia:
In India, TikTok had 200 million registered users and 120 million active users as of July 2020 and June 2019 respectively. Total app downloads in India were 600 million as of April 2020. It should be noted that these numbers we calculated just before India officially banned TikTok in June of 2020.
How many people use Douyin (TikTok in China)?
As of January 2020, Douyin had 400 million daily active users (DAU). This number reflects the significant popularity of the platform in China. It’s worth noting that these numbers may have changed since that date and it is important to check for the most recent data.
TikTok Revenue Totals
- TikTok total revenue to date: $456.7 million | (2020)
- Estimated TikTok ad revenue in 2022: $11.6 billion | (2022)
- TikTok revenue in 2019: $176.9 million
- Estimated amount of TikTok quarterly revenue: $50 million per quarter | (2020)
- Amount TikTok earns in monthly revenue from in-app purchases: $95.6 million per month | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok/Douyin monthly revenue that comes from China: 89% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok/Douyin monthly revenue that comes from the US: 6.2% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok in-app purchases that come from the US: 55% | (2019)
- Amount that TikTok earns monthly from Indian users: $45,000 | (2019)
- Amount that TikTok earns monthly from American users: $2 million | (2019)
Additional TikTok Statistics
- Average monthly usage for TikTok: 28.5 hours per user per month | (2020)
- Average amount of time kids, ages 4-15, spend on TikTok daily: 80 minutes per day | (2020)
- TikTok holds the record for the most app downloads in a quarter (315 million installs in Q1 2020) | (2020)
- Number of countries in which there are TikTok users: 150 countries | (2019)
- Estimated amount TikTok influencers can earn per sponsored post: $200,000 | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok user sessions that are on Android devices: 82.5% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok downloaders that open the app daily: 28.56% | (2018)
- What age group uses Douyin the most? 40% of Douyin users are aged 24-30 | (2019)
- What gender uses Douyin the most? 66.4% of Douyin users are women | (2019)
- What age group uses TikTok the most? 41% of TikTok users are aged 16-24 | (2019)
- Percentage of new TikTok monthly downloads that come from India: 46.6% | (2020)
- Number of TikTok users that have activated their shopping carts on it: 1 million users | (2019)
- Reported amount that ByteDance purchased for Musical.ly: $1 billion
Most followed TikTok users (as of September 2022):
- Khaby Lame: 149.2 million
- Charli D’Amelio: 146.3 million
- Bella Poarch: 91.4 million
- Addison Rae: 88.7 million
- Will Smith: 72.2 million
- Zach King: 69.2 million
- Kimberly Loaiza: 67.4 million
- Burak Özdemir: 63.6 million
- Dixie D’Amelio: 57.4 million
- Spencer X: 55.1 million
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these TikTok statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.