TikTok Statistics and User Count (2023)
Last Updated on: May 16th, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting TikTok statistics and facts I was able to dig up including TikTok user counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
TikTok is a social media app that allows users to create, share, and discover short videos. The app was developed by a Chinese company called ByteDance and was launched in September 2016 under the name Douyin. It was later released in international markets under the name TikTok in September 2017.
The app allows users to create short videos of themselves lip-syncing, dancing, or performing skits to music or other audio clips. Users can also browse through a feed of videos created by other users and follow accounts they find interesting. TikTok uses an algorithm to personalize the content that appears on each user’s “For You” page, based on their viewing history and engagement with the app.
TikTok has become a popular platform for viral content, and many users have gained large followings and even launched careers through the app. However, the app has also faced criticism for issues related to privacy, content moderation, and censorship.
TikTok User Count
As of Q1 2022, TikTok had 1.6 billion monthly active users (MAU) and had 700 million daily active users (DAU) in December 2022. The app has also seen 3.5 billion downloads to date as of April 2022.
Insights into the Popularity of TikTok in the US, India, and Southeast Asia:
In the US, TikTok had 150 million active users as of March 2023.
In Indonesia, TikTok had 109.9 million active users as of March 2023.
In Brazil, TikTok had 82.2 million active users as of March 2023.
In Mexico, TikTok had 57.5 million active users as of March 2023.
In Russia, TikTok had 54.9 million active users as of March 2023.
In Vietnam, TikTok had 49.9 million active users as of March 2023.
In Philippines, TikTok had 43.4 million active users as of March 2023.
In Thailand, TikTok had 40.3 million active users as of March 2023.
In Turkey, TikTok had 29.9 million active users as of March 2023.
In Saudi Arabia, TikTok had 26.4 million active users as of March 2023.
In India, TikTok had 200 million registered users and 120 million active users as of July 2020 and June 2019 respectively. Total app downloads in India were 600 million as of April 2020. It should be noted that these numbers we calculated just before India officially banned TikTok in June of 2020.
How many people use Douyin (TikTok in China)?
As of January 2020, Douyin had 400 million daily active users (DAU). This number reflects the significant popularity of the platform in China. It’s worth noting that these numbers may have changed since that date and it is important to check for the most recent data.
TikTok Revenue Totals
- TikTok total revenue to date: $456.7 million | (2020)
- Estimated TikTok ad revenue in 2022: $11.6 billion | (2022)
- TikTok revenue in 2019: $176.9 million
- Estimated amount of TikTok quarterly revenue: $50 million per quarter | (2020)
- Amount TikTok earns in monthly revenue from in-app purchases: $95.6 million per month | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok/Douyin monthly revenue that comes from China: 89% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok/Douyin monthly revenue that comes from the US: 6.2% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok in-app purchases that come from the US: 55% | (2019)
- Amount that TikTok earns monthly from Indian users: $45,000 | (2019)
- Amount that TikTok earns monthly from American users: $2 million | (2019)
Additional TikTok Stats
- Average monthly usage for TikTok: 28.5 hours per user per month | (2020)
- Average amount of time kids, ages 4-15, spend on TikTok daily: 80 minutes per day | (2020)
- TikTok holds the record for the most app downloads in a quarter (315 million installs in Q1 2020) | (2020)
- Number of countries in which there are TikTok users: 150 countries | (2019)
- Estimated amount TikTok influencers can earn per sponsored post: $200,000 | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok user sessions that are on Android devices: 82.5% | (2020)
- Percentage of TikTok downloaders that open the app daily: 28.56% | (2018)
- What age group uses Douyin the most? 40% of Douyin users are aged 24-30 | (2019)
- What gender uses Douyin the most? 66.4% of Douyin users are women | (2019)
- What age group uses TikTok the most? 41% of TikTok users are aged 16-24 | (2019)
- Percentage of new TikTok monthly downloads that come from India: 46.6% | (2020)
- Number of TikTok users that have activated their shopping carts on it: 1 million users | (2019)
- Reported amount that ByteDance purchased for Musical.ly: $1 billion
Most followed TikTok users (as of September 2022):
- Khaby Lame: 149.2 million
- Charli D’Amelio: 146.3 million
- Bella Poarch: 91.4 million
- Addison Rae: 88.7 million
- Will Smith: 72.2 million
- Zach King: 69.2 million
- Kimberly Loaiza: 67.4 million
- Burak Özdemir: 63.6 million
- Dixie D’Amelio: 57.4 million
- Spencer X: 55.1 million
- Website: Official Website
- Year Founded: 2016
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Parent Company: Bytedance
- App Download (iOS)
- App Download (Android)
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these TikTok statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.