Here are a few of the most interesting Sony facts and statistics I was able to dig up. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
See also: PlayStation Stats and Facts
Please note that some of these Sony facts are easier to find than others. A few of these stats come from Sony’s own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100% accurate.
- Sony Website: sony.net
- Sony Founding Year: 1946 (as Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo KK )
- Sony Headquarters: Minato, Tokyo, Japan
- Sony Founders: Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita
- Sony CEO: Kenichiro Yoshida
- Key Sony Subsidiaries: Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Crackle, Columbia Records, Epic Records, RCA, Records
- Key Sony Products: PlayStation
- What is Sony?
Sony is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its motion picture, television, computer entertainment, music and online businesses make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment and technology companies in the world. (source)
Percentage of Sony’s revenue that comes from their gaming products:
Last updated 7/29/16
How many people work for Sony?
Last updated 3/31/19
Sony business segment that has the most employees:
Amount Sony is reportedly purchasing EMI for:
Last updated 5/22/18
Sony electronics sales by geography (FY 2019):
- Europe: 26.6%
- US: 23.8%
- Japan: 16.6%
- Asia-Pacific (minus China and Japan): 13.3%
- China: 13%
- Other: 6.7%
Sony total revenue:
- FY 2019: ¥ 8.665 trillion
- FY 2018: ¥ 8.543 trillion
- FY 2017: ¥ 7.6 trillion
- FY 2016: ¥ 8.1 trillion
- FY 2015: ¥ 8.215 trillion
- FY 2014: ¥ 7.767 trillion