Last Updated on: January 8th, 2023
Here is a collection of some of the most interesting cosmetics statistics and fun facts I have stumbled across in my internet travels. These posts cover both the cosmetics industry and individual companies.
Cosmetics Fun Facts
- The first lipstick was made by the ancient Sumerians around 5,000 years ago using crushed gemstones to create color.
- The world’s oldest cosmetics are believed to be a set of palettes and containers found in Ancient Egypt that date back over 5,000 years.
- The average woman uses about 12 products containing 168 unique ingredients every day, according to the Environmental Working Group.
- Mascara was first developed by the ancient Egyptians, who used a mixture of kohl and crocodile dung to darken their eyelashes.
- The first nail polish was invented in China in 3000 BCE and was made from a mixture of beeswax, egg whites, and vegetable dyes.
- The word “cosmetics” comes from the Greek word “kosmetikos,” which means “skilled in adornment.”
- The world’s most expensive lipstick, valued at $14 million, is made of gold and encrusted with diamonds.
- The first commercial perfume was created in 1370 for Queen Elizabeth of Hungary, and it was called “Hungary Water”.
- The top-selling cosmetic brand in the world is L’Oreal, with annual revenue of over $30 billion.
- In ancient Rome, women used a mixture of crocodile dung and mud to create a face mask that was believed to help reduce wrinkles and improve skin texture.
Specific Cosmetics Statistics Pages
Stat posts here are added, edited and updated almost daily, so be sure to check back often!