Here are a few of the most interesting Mothers Day statistics and facts I was able to dig up in my internet travels. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
When is Mother’s Day celebrated? In the US, it is observed on the second Sunday of May. In 2021, Mother’s Day falls on May 9th.
- Number of mothers in the world: 2.2 billion (Tweet this)
- Number of American mothers on Facebook: 27 million (Tweet this)
- Amount spent annually on Mother’s Day cards: $671 million (Tweet this)
- Mother’s Day is the busiest day of the year for US restaurants.
- Number of woman in the United States that have given birth in the past 12 months: 4.1 million (Tweet this)
- Number of stay-at-home mothers in the United States: 5 million (Tweet this)
- First American celebration of Mother’s Day: 1908 (Tweet this)
- Number of births in the United States in 2012: 3,952,841 (Tweet this)
- Country with the highest children born per woman: Niger: 6.89 (Tweet this)
- Average number of children born per woman in the United States: 2.01 (Tweet this)
- The mean age of mother’s first birth in the United States: 25 years old (Tweet this)
- First mother in space: Anna Fisher in 1984 (Tweet this)
- Mother’s Day is the third most popular day for flower sales (behind Christmas and Hanukkah.
- Peak ranking on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for Danzig’s song Mother: 43rd