Microsoft Statistics and Revenue Totals (2023)
Last Updated on: March 10th, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting Microsoft statistics I was able to dig up including Microsoft revenue totals and employee counts. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
- Website: Official Website
- Year Founded: 1975
- Headquarters: Redmond, WA
- Founder(s): Bill Gates and Paul Allen
- Current Chief Executive: Satya Nadella
- Subsidiaries / Brands: Skype, Yammer, LinkedIn, Minecraft (Mojang), GitHub, Windows, Office, XBox, Azure, Surface, Edge, Bing, Teams
Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company that develops, licenses, and sells computer software, consumer electronics, and personal computers. The company was founded in 1975 and is headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA.
Microsoft is best known for its Windows operating system and Microsoft Office suite, which includes productivity applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The company also offers a range of other software products, including its Edge web browser, the Xbox gaming platform, and the Microsoft Teams collaboration platform.
In addition to its software offerings, Microsoft produces a range of hardware products, including the Surface line of tablets and laptops, the Xbox gaming console, and the HoloLens augmented reality headset.
Microsoft is also a major player in cloud computing, offering a range of services through its Microsoft Azure platform. The company has also made significant investments in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other emerging technologies.
Microsoft is committed to sustainability and has established several initiatives to reduce its environmental impact. The company has also been recognized for its commitment to diversity and inclusion, and has established several programs to promote employee development and advancement.
Microsoft is a publicly traded company and is listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange. The company is a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which tracks the performance of 30 large publicly traded companies in the United States.
- 1975 – Microsoft is founded
- 1979 – Microsoft moves from Albuquerque, NM to Bellevue, WA
- 1980 – Microsoft enters into a deal to include their OS with IBM computers
- 1980 – Steve Ballmer joins Microsoft
- 1983 – Microsoft Word is first released
- 1985 – Windows 1.0 is released
- 1986 – Microsoft moves headquarters from Bellevue to Redmond, WA and goes public
- 1989 – Microsoft Office is first released
- 1990 – Windows 3.0 is released
- 1992 – Windows 3.2 is released
- 1995 – Windows 95 is released; Internet Explorer is released
- 1996 – MSNBC launches; Slate launches
- 1998 – Windows 98 is released
- 2000 – Microsoft loses its antitrust battle with the US government
- 2001 – Windows XP and Office XP are released; Xbox is released
- 2007 – Windows Vista is released
- 2009 – Windows 7 is released
- 2011 – Microsoft purchases Skype
- 2012 – Windows 8 is released; Surface and Windows Phone are introduced; Microsoft purchases Yammer
- 2014 – Microsoft purchases Mojang (Minecraft); Windows 10 is released
- 2016 – Microsoft purchases LinkedIn
- 2018 – Microsoft purchases GitHub
- 2021 – Windows 11 is released; Windows 365 is released
- 2022 – Microsoft purchases Activision Blizzard
Microsoft Employee Count
Microsoft employees number:
Last updated 7/1/18
Microsoft Revenue Totals
Microsoft annual revenue:
- 2020: $143 billion
- 2019: $125 billion
- 2018: $110 billion
- 2017: $96 billion
- 2016: $91 billion
Additional Microsoft Statistics
How many people use Microsoft OneDrive?
Last updated 8/8/17
Percentage of the Fortune 500 that use OneDrive:
Last updated 8/8/17
Number of Microsoft Launcher downloads:
Last updated 12/18/17
Reported market value of Microsoft:
Last updated 10/20/17
Number of active PC users:
Last updated 9/4/13
Microsoft’s share of the global digital advertising market:
Last updated 12/15/14
Number of Microsoft Enterprise Mobility users:
Last updated 4/24/19
Number of desktop users that the Microsoft Store is available to:
Last updated 3/5/19
Number of apps in the Microsoft Windows store:
Last updated 10/5/15
Number of visits to the Windows Store:
Last updated 2/4/16
Percentage of Windows Store app downloads that are games:
Last updated 2/4/16
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. A few of these Microsoft statistics come from their own reports, but some are based on news reports and not official company tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.