Cereal is a staple breakfast food enjoyed by millions of people worldwide. It is a versatile food that can be eaten with milk, yogurt, or even as a dry snack. Here are ten fun facts about cereal that you might not know.
Fun Facts About Cereal
- The first cereal was invented as a health food. The first cereal, known as granula, was invented in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson. It was a dense, dry, tasteless product made from Graham flour and was marketed as a health food. Later on, John Harvey Kellogg created a similar product called “granola” that became much more popular.
- The cereal box was invented in 1895 The first cereal box was invented by the Kellogg Company in 1895. It was designed to keep the cereal fresh and was made out of wax paper and cardboard.
- Cereal mascots are big business Cereal mascots like Tony the Tiger and the Trix Rabbit are some of the most recognizable characters in advertising. Many of them have become so popular that they have their own merchandise, television shows, and even movies.
- Cereal can be used for more than just breakfast Cereal is a versatile food that can be used for more than just breakfast. It can be crushed and used as a coating for chicken or fish, added to a trail mix, or even used as a substitute for breadcrumbs in recipes.
- Cereal is big business The cereal industry is worth over $37 billion annually. Kellogg’s and General Mills are two of the biggest cereal manufacturers in the world.
- Some cereals are banned in other countries Some cereals, like Froot Loops and Lucky Charms, contain ingredients that are banned in other countries. For example, Froot Loops contain BHT, a preservative that is banned in Europe and Japan.
- Cereal can be a collector’s item Many cereal boxes and toys have become collector’s items over the years. For example, a box of Wheaties featuring Michael Jordan’s image can sell for hundreds of dollars.
- Some cereals have been around for over 100 years Many popular cereals, like Corn Flakes and Cheerios, have been around for over 100 years. They have become a part of American culture and are still popular today.
- Cereal can be good for you Cereal can be a healthy breakfast option if you choose the right one. Look for cereals that are high in fiber, low in sugar, and fortified with vitamins and minerals.
- There is a National Cereal Day National Cereal Day is celebrated on March 7th every year. It is a day to celebrate all things cereal and to enjoy your favorite cereal with friends and family.
Cereal is more than just a breakfast food. It is a versatile and fun food that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you eat it with milk, yogurt, or as a snack, cereal is a part of American culture that will continue to be enjoyed for many years to come.