I thought it would be interesting to go searching for Earth facts and statistics to see just what our planet is all about. Here is what I was able to dig up. As always, I will be adding and updating stats as I find new ones, so be sure to stay tuned…
Please note that some of these global warming facts are easier to find than others. Many of these stats come from the governmental or scientific reports, but some are based on news reports and not necessarily official tallies. As always, all stats are linked to their source. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100% accurate.
- The Earth’s Circumference: 40, 075.017 km at the equator (24,901.461 miles)
- Earth’s Diameter: 13,000 km (8,000 miles)
- Earth’s Atmosphere Composition: 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon and numerous less significant elements.
- Earth’s Core Composition: Mostly nickel and iron
- Earth’s Ground Layers:
- Outer Core
- Inner Core
- Earth’s Distance From the Sun:
- Minimum: 146 million km (91 million miles)
- Maximum: 152 million km (94.5 million miles)
- Earth’s Distance From the Moon: 384,400 km (238,855 miles)
How many people are there in the world?
There are 7.716 billion people in the world as of July 10, 2019.
Largest countries in the world by population:
Largest countries in the world by land mass:
When did life first appear on Earth?
roughly 3.5 billion years ago
How old is the Earth?
roughly 4.5 billion years old
Percentage of the Earth’s surface that is covered by water:
Earth is the fifth largest planet in the solar system.
Time it takes for the Earth to orbit the sun:
Time it takes for the Earth to rotate on its axis: