Here are a few of the most interesting Earth statistics and facts I was able to dig up in my internet travels. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
The Earth’s Circumference: 40, 075.017 km at the equator (24,901.461 miles)
- Earth’s Diameter: 13,000 km (8,000 miles)
- Earth’s Atmosphere Composition: 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon and numerous less significant elements.
- Earth’s Core Composition: Mostly nickel and iron
- Earth’s Ground Layers:
- Outer Core
- Inner Core
- Earth’s Distance From the Sun:
- Minimum: 146 million km (91 million miles)
- Maximum: 152 million km (94.5 million miles)
- Earth’s Distance From the Moon: 384,400 km (238,855 miles)
How many people are there in the world?
There are 7.716 billion people in the world as of July 10, 2019.
Largest countries in the world by population:
Largest countries in the world by land mass:
When did life first appear on Earth?
roughly 3.5 billion years ago
How old is the Earth?
roughly 4.5 billion years old
Percentage of the Earth’s surface that is covered by water:
Earth is the fifth largest planet in the solar system.
Time it takes for the Earth to orbit the sun:
Time it takes for the Earth to rotate on its axis: