Bacon Facts and Statistics (2023)
Last Updated on: June 23rd, 2023
Here are a few of the most interesting Bacon facts and statistics I was able to dig up in my internet travels. As always, be sure to check back in the future as I will be updating this post as new and updated stats become available.
Bacon is a true crossover food. You can eat it at breakfast, lunch or dinner and not feel ashamed. It can be used in appetizers, meals, snacks and even desserts and still taste amazing.
Oh, and who the heck doesn’t enjoy the aroma of freshly cooked bacon???
Bacon has always been a popular food, but it has definitely enjoyed a pretty solid upswing in popularity lately. We at DMR enjoy statistics and we definitely enjoy bacon, so it seemed like a pretty natural choice for our next fun non-digital stat post.
First, a refresher; Let’s make sure you know what bacon is. Bacon is a cured pork product that is most commonly fried, grilled, smoked, baked or boiled before consumption. It is most commonly associated with being a breakfast side-dish, but, as noted above, it has many, many other culinary uses.
Now that we’ve established what Bacon is, were are some of the more interesting bacon facts and statistics and facts that we could dig up.
- Approx year that the concept of bacon was developed: 1500 B.C. by the Chinese (Tweet this)
- Percentage of Americans that would support bacon as the National Food: 65% (Tweet this)
- Amount of sales of bacon in the U.S. in 2013: $4 billion (Tweet this)
- Percentage of times that bacon and eggs are eaten together: 71% (Tweet this)
- Average times bacon is consumed per person annually: 18 (Tweet this)
- Amount of bacon the average American eats per year: 17.9 lbs (Tweet this)
- Percentage of bacon that is cooked in a microwave: 15% (Tweet this)
- Percentage of restaurants that have bacon on the menu: 62% (Tweet this)
- Percentage of a pig’s weight that is bacon: 11% (Tweet this)
- Number of Wendy’s Baconators sold in the first 8 weeks: 25 million (Tweet this)
So there you have it. Hopefully you now know 10 more things about bacon than you did 10 minutes ago.
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. Most of these fun facts come from internet reports and may not be official tallies. No information contained on DMR should be relied upon to make investment decisions. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee anything to be 100%.