Believe it or not, Sesame Street first aired exactly 49 years ago today on November 10, 1969. The show played such a large role in so many of our early years, but how much do you really know (or remember) about it?
In honor of their birthday, I decided to sit down and dig up a few Sesame Street facts and statistics you may not have known. I hope you enjoy!
- Oscar the Grouch was originally orange.
- Cookie Monster wasn't created for Sesame Street. He first appeared a few years earlier in a cracker commercial.
- Guy Smiley's real name is Bernie Liederkrantz.
- The first guest on Sesame Street was James Earl Jones.
- Elmo once testified before Congress.
- "Rubber Duckie" as performed by Ernie, climbed to #16 on the Billboard singles chart in 1970.
- Big Bird is really 8'2" tall!
- Mr. Hooper's first name was Harold. He (actor Will Lee) died 33 years ago
- Grover was originally greenish-brown and went by the name "Gleep."
- Superman and Batman actually appeared in Season 1 of Sesame Street.