Few alcoholic beverages have had as long and storied a history than wine. Wine is a very versatile drink in that it can be drank to relax, to celebrate and it even plays a sizable role in a number of religions.
I recently sat down and dug up a few wine facts and statistics that you may not have known. I hope you enjoy!
Wine Facts & Statistics
- The oldest evidence of wine was 8,000 year old wine jars in the country of Georgia.
- 90% of US Wine production occurs in California.
- The US produces just 8% of the world’s wine production, but leads the world in wine consumption.
- The world’s top three wine-producing countries are France, Italy and Spain
- The European Union produces 65% of the world’s wine
- The most popular varietals of wine in the US is Chardonnay with Merlot a close second.
- Number one reason why Americans drink wine: They like the taste.
- 6% of Americans think fortified wine is the most healthy variety of wine (seriously!)
- Largest age-group of Americans that consider themselves high-frequency wine drinkers: Baby Boomers
- 40% of all wine produced is exported from its production country.
Please note that some of these numbers are easier to find than others. Some wine facts and statistics are based on news reports and not official tallies. Basically, this is the best I can find and I don’t guarantee any of these stats to be 100% accurate.