Few alcoholic beverages have had as long and storied a history than wine. Wine is a very versatile drink in that it can be drank to relax, to celebrate and it even plays a sizable role in a number of religions. I recently sat down and dug up a few wine facts and statistics that you may not have known. I hope you enjoy!
Wine Facts & Statistics
- The oldest evidence of wine was 8,000 year old wine jars in the country of Georgia.
- 90% of US Wine production occurs in California.
- The US produces just 8% of the world’s wine production, but leads the world in wine consumption.
- The world’s top three wine-producing countries are France, Italy and Spain
- The European Union produces 65% of the world’s wine
- The most popular varietals of wine in the US is Chardonnay with Merlot a close second.
- Number one reason why Americans drink wine: They like the taste.
- 6% of Americans think fortified wine is the most healthy variety of wine (seriously!)
- Largest age-group of Americans that consider themselves high-frequency wine drinkers: Baby Boomers
- 40% of all wine produced is exported from its production country.
- California wine makers shipped $40.2 billion worth of wine in the US in 2018 (248 million cases).
- US winemakers produced $68.1 billion of wine in 2018 (406.5 million cases).
- US winemakers exported $1.46 billion of wine in 2018 (41.7 million cases).
So there you have it. Hopefully you now know 10 more things about wine than you did 10 minutes ago.